News » hair growth
We know you’ve heard all of the benefits of drinking enough water, our bodies need adequate hydration to function properly. We need water to regulate our body temperature, to lubricate our joints, to cushion our organs and spinal cord, and to get rid of waste, right? Well, have you ever thought about what drinking enough water does to benefit your hair?
- Water supports the vitamins and minerals necessary for hair growth.
- Just as your body dehydrates without enough water, so does your hair. Hair becomes dry and brittle without sufficient water intake.
- Dry hair is frizzier and harder to manage but we tend to focus on moisturizing the outside of the hair.
- Hair that is hydrated and has the proper nutrients is healthy hair and healthy hair GROWS!
- Water also hydrates the skin and your scalp is skin. Proper hydration can prevent dry, itchy scalp and dandruff and fights hair thinning.
Whew! All of those benefits from the easiest thing that you can do for your body, DRINK WATER! Now, one glass of water is not going to make your hair shiny and lush, it's going to take a bit more of an investment of time and effort than that. Remember that water is expelled from the body throughout the day through sweat and urination so consistent hydration is key.
How do I achieve and maintain that consistent hydration? We’re glad you asked! The key to achieving and maintaining optimal hydration for a healthy metabolism and functioning of all of the systems in the body is drinking ½ oz. to 1oz. of water per pound of body weight. For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, you should consume about 75oz. of water per day. If you’re not used to taking in that much water in a day, it can seem like a daunting task but here are a few hints for upping your intake:
- Have a big glass of water as soon as you get up in the morning to kick your metabolism into gear.
- If you’re not a fan of the taste, try adding a little lemon, lime, cucumber or a couple of mint leaves to your water.
- Have a glass of water before every meal.
- If you’re used to having a soda, try sparkling water to get that fizz.
- Invest in a special water bottle. If your bottle is your favorite color, pattern or features your favorite character you’re more likely to grab it on your way out the door.
- Get an app! There are apps for your devices that will remind you to drink your water and log your intake for the day.
- Eat your water! Boost your intake with water-rich foods like watermelon, cucumbers, tomatoes, leafy greens and broths.
- Spread your water intake throughout your day but finish up by about 8 PM so your body can rest throughout the night.
Try out a few (or all!) of these tips and before you know it you and your hair will be all moist and shiny and living your best life!